Selecting the right programming language is the key to your app’s success. Java and Python seem the most suitable and powerful options for desktop application development. When it comes to choosing between Java and Python, it is difficult to decide.
Both of them are top-notch object-oriented languages. Their features are highly efficient and versatile, and they are extremely popular among developers for building any kind of app.
As a person responsible for a project, you need to make the best choice. We recommend you read this article. You will get acquainted with the main peculiarities of employing Java and Python for desktop software.
Let’s start by stating that there is no universal solution available in the mobile app development market. Each language has its strong and weak points. The core thing is to select a programming language according to the specific requirements of your project. According to statistics, Java is the most preferred language, but Python is also in high demand, especially among junior developers.
Python vs. Java: Pros and Cons
Let’s single out the dissimilarities between the use of Java and Python for desktop app development. Python has many advantages important for fast and secure development. But when making a detailed Python or Java comparison, Jave excels in some instances.
- Third-party modules allow Python to interact with other languages, like Java or C++.
- Large support libraries involve all the necessary information for programmers.
- Python is simpler to learn for beginner programmers due to its simple syntax. It also enhances the speed of writing code.
- It has improved capabilities for process control, integration, and text processing.
- It has its own unit testing framework, which makes Python more productive than Java.
- It is the best option if you want to include AI (Artificial Intelligence), ML (Machine Learning), or data science tools.
- High memory consumption.
- It is not the most effective for mobile app development for Android or iOS due to the lack of capabilities.
- There is a need for more thorough testing and involves errors that can be detected only at runtime.
- Not a major disadvantage, but Python’s speed may be slow if the tasks include huge data processing or parallel calculations.
- Independence from the platform. It is perfect for cross-platform app building.
- It has features for distributed computing, which enables a few computers to work together on one project.
- It can perform multiple tasks at the same time in one program.
- It can detect errors in the early stages.
- It is more complex and code-consuming than Python.
- It is a single-paradigm language.
Python vs. Java for desktop applications: which one is better?
There is no unanimous answer to this question among developers. Creating an excellent desktop application is entirely achievable in both of these coding languages. Python and Java are both powerful enough to handle it. On the one hand, Python is excellent for desktop apps, as it has lots of available toolkits. With the help of GDK (Graphics Developer Kit), you may do many things. On the other hand, Java possesses more powerful tools and enables easy cross-platform development and IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
To choose Python or Java for a desktop application, you should develop certain criteria. Every project is unique, and you need to single out the necessary conditions. We have listed criteria that are easily applicable to any desktop application development.
One of the key differences between these two languages is that Python includes dynamical typing, and Java – statistical typing. If development speed is more important for you, select Python. It is shorter and more readable. It also allows the developer to do more things with a shorter code. At the same time, Java allows detecting bugs in earlier development stages, and you don’t have to develop an MVP to identify errors. So you spend less time and effort on testing.
Speed is a relative factor, as neither Java nor Python has capabilities for rocket-fast development. However, Java has advantages in most environments. On the other hand, Python has higher productivity, which may balance it out. We recommend paying attention to the other criteria, like support and security, unless you want to receive a desktop app in the shortest time.
Both Python and Java possess large communities and libraries that offer significant support for beginners. If you are not experienced enough to solve some issues, you can get help there. You will surely find great ways to solve your problems by asking for help in a developer community or looking for an answer in a library.
It would be a mistake to say that Python and Java are equally suitable for any project. Along with comparing the main benefits and disadvantages, take into account the requirements of your desktop application. I hope that our article made choosing Python or Java for your desktop app more clear.